Western Union Money Transfer: The objective of Western Union is to break the barrier when it comes to transferring the money. They are actively involved in this exercise. The institution was in 1851. The institution was famous for their telegraph services till 1871. After that, they started electronic money transferring service. Western Union became known to people because of this service. They have branches in 200 countries and their payment transfer facility is active in 130 countries. The bank deals with 1 billion bank accounts and the number is growing rapidly.
Eligibility for Money Transaction:
- According to the rules, the individual and sole proprietors are eligible to transfer money.
- For the business transaction the Western Union deals with companies who are associated with money transaction.
- They also enable the cross border partnership business to transact money.
How Does Western Union Money Transfer Work in India?
In India Western Union works through 50,000 agents. Though there are a few limitations that impede the institution to work here. The limitations are stated below.
- No one can send money to someone outside the country. One living in India only can receive money from other country.
- The government does not allow any business to use the money transaction facility through Western Union.
How to Transfer Money with Western Union? How does it Work?
According to the rules, an individual staying outside India can send money through Western Union by the help of the agents. Their agent network is spread globally. The process is stated below.
- The individual lives in a foreign country need to reach to an agent who is authorized by Western Union.
- Then the individual needs to fill up a ‘To Send Money’ form that is available at the agent’s office. The form has three important details that are the name of the person to who will be the receiver of the money, the amount of money that will be sent, and the location where the money will be sent.
- The form is then submitted along with the amount of money to be dispatched, and the application fee. The individual needs to remember that the agent would accept money in the local currency only. For example, if a person is sent money from the United States of America, the payment to the agent will be in US Dollars. Moreover, the person who had sent the money would also be asked to show his Government issued ID card if needed.
- The agent then progress with the form and issues a ‘Money Transfer Control Number’, and a payment receipt to the money sender.
- The person to whom the money is sent he needs to visit to Western Union agent at his location.
- He is needed to fill up a ‘Receive Money’ form that contains the full name of the sender, the amount of money that was sent, the location from where the money was sent, and the ‘Money Transfer Control Number’.
- The form is then submitted to the agent along with a valid ID proof.
- The agent then gives the money in Indian rupees to the person.
- The above method is the offline method that requires a visit to the agent’s office. However, with the advent of technology the online and mobile platforms are becoming popular, Western Union also allows individuals to send money to India through both online and mobile. The process is stated below.
Sending Money Online:
- The person who is sending the money needed to be the registered candidate on the website of Western Union. If the person is a new customer, or simply signs in into his account if he is an existing one.
- Then he furnishes the receivers information online which includes the receiver’s full name, the location where the money would be collected and the intended amount of transfer.
- Additional services can be added to the money transfer service like a telephonic update to the receiver when the money is sent or a message included in the transfer.
- The sender then reviews his order which shows him the amount to be transferred and the required fees for such transfer.
- The order is then placed and payment can be made using the debit card or credit card of the sender.
- After the successful payment, a Money Transfer Control Number is issued with the receipt of the transaction. The sender can then inform the receiver of the remittance.
- The sender is also needed to call Western Union to confirm his transaction for in order to maintain security.
Sending Money Through Phone:
- The sender needs call the Western Union on the given numbers.
- The authority would then have to be informed of the receiver’s information and the amount of money to be sent.
- The money is to be transferred by using of the VISA, MasterCard or Discover credit or debit card.
- After the payment is done, the ‘Money Transfer Control Number’ is issued and provided to the sender.
Important Facts About Money Transfer:
- One can transfer a maximum of USD 2500 to India
- The service is available for 24X7 while the online mode. Agents may have fixed working hours.
- The receiver can get a maximum amount of money of Rs.50, 000. After this limit, only crossed cheques can be issued.
Therefore, Western Union offered money transfers that are not only secured, but also fast and easy.